There is nothing better than wearing a pair of the best work boots during your work-life. When you struggle to relax your foot after stands on a cement ground for over 4 hours, the feeling of finding the most comfortable work boots in the world won’t be any stronger.
The interactive chart of work boots below and the analysis that follows will help you decide what the best work boots is for you. We all have our personal preferences on what makes a good footwear to go working with, but in an extreme situation you want the absolute best work boots possible, and so we’re here to help.
We spend dozens of months of research on hundreds of brands, interviewing factory engineers for inside dope, consult reviews by both users and professionals so as to help you finding the best one.
If you work on your feet all day long, or work in a hazardous environment, it won’t be hard for you to realize that it’s absolutely necessary to have the best work boots for your job.
Why Did We Write This Report?
I’m Steve Smith, the author of this report, and also works as a carpenter in a private family owned factory in USA. As a man who had injured his foot during work. I’d like you to pay more attention to the work boots you and your lovers are wearing now.
As you know, one pair of casual shoes can’t deal with all. You need turn to special work boots if you want to cope with different working environment.
There are plenty of guides to work boots. From review sites to textbooks, you can really take your pick. But in my opinion, there was still something missing – a guide that really starts at the beginning to professionals with a healthy balance of guidelines and advices.
Who Should Buy This?
- Anyone for Comfort Purpose – Work boots should be considered seriously by people who want to keep their foot comfortable after a long time work or walk.
- Anyone for Safety Purpose – Except for casual work boots aiming to comfort, there also exist hundreds of functional work boots, adopting safety toes that meet ANSI safety standards to protect feet being hurt. These safety work boots, suits anyone who works in hazardous environments. If your working environments often encounter dropping / rolling objectives, you’d better buy one.
- Anyone for Fashion Purpose – Many artists, models, Hollywood stars are turning to work boots for stylish. Real Man Wear Boots. If you want to look rough around and the edges for a cool grunge style, your wardrobe won’t miss work boots.
Our Votes For the Best Work Boots
Every work site or work environment is different, no single work boot meets the needs of all employees, and different occupations require distinct, purpose-built features.
You cannot buy a casual work boots for function purpose, and it’s properly unwise buying a pair of steel-toe work boots if you go through detectors often. If you are an electrician, of course you want an insulation boots for your work.
In this section, we’ve broken out the different types of work boots. And also for your get a quick understand of these types we also reviewed the best work boots for each type.
Best Steel Toe Work Boots
Steel toe footwear, just as their name suggests, are the ones that its toe cap is made from industrial steel which can protects the foot from falling objects or compression. ANSI has relatively safety standards on it.
They are the most traditional safety shoes. They provide you extreme safety to protect your feet from being hurt.
#1 Timberland PRO Men’s Pitboss 6″ Steel-Toe Boot
These work boot series have the best overall balance of quality, safety, durability, and the price. Not quite the #1 most comfortable work boots of the bunch – the steel toe box room are always narrow for wide feet – but they are still pretty great.
When you’re thinking about buying a steel-toe work boot, you really want its toe box roomy enough to be comfortable, and safe enough during your long time work, right?
Based on overall rating, price, leather quality, and reputation of manufacturer, the Timberland Pitboss is one of the best steel toe work boots that anyone could own. With 2 by 4 reinforced stitching that joins the upper and the sole firmly, this work boots is one the the most durable one that we reviewed.
The steel toe meets ANSI safety standards. It’s sufficient for protecting your toes from falling objects in your workplace, and you may even be able to kiss the pickpocket’s ass when coming across robbery.
The un-insulated full-grain leather upper and ankle support of the boots makes the Pitboss a true durable boots for work and not something you can only wear for its style. The 1.5″ soft heel will provide you the maximum ankle support, and you’ll no longer experience pain or discomfort while wearing them.
However, one problems of these boots I found is that they are not a very good options for people with flat feet. But if you do have, you’d better buy another replaceable insole to provide better arch support.
- The steel toe box is pretty rommier compared with traditional steel toe boots.
- Outstanding Electrical Hazard Protection. Pretty good for electrician, HVAC technician or someone who works around open circuits
- Stable Base And Are Tough As Nails. You needn’t worry these things will pierce the outsole when walking on glasses or nails.
- 24/7 Comfort Suspension
- Great quality with affordable price
- Not the Best Arch Support. It means they are not a good option when your job need to stand and walk for more than 10 hours per day.
- A Little Heavier. Since they are adopting steel toe caps, for those people who wear steel toe work boots for the first time, it will take a bit time for them to get used to it.
- Inconvenient to go through metal detectors. If you are working in the airport or somewhere needs to pass the metal detectors, this boots will set off alarms.
The boots seems durable and reasonable in price. More roomier in steel toe cap. And the Amazon’s No.1 best seller in construction catalog proves its reputation. Check its best offer here.
#2 KEEN Utility Men’s Pittsburgh Steel Toe Work Boot
Keen is already known for keeping your toes safe with a rubber toe box that keeps your little piggies safe from stubbing. But we don’t recommend beating your toes with a three pound hammer 🙂
If you sometimes on your feet for 16 hours at a time and spend a lot of day going up and down ladders, kicking things into place and walking back and forth carrying heavy things, you can take this boots into consideration.
- A spare pair of laces. We extremely love this considerate behavior from the manufacturer.
- Very waterproof. No matter your work line sees the extremes concrete powder, mortar, mud, water, rock damage, everything and this boots take it without blinking.
- Great slip resistant. The tread pattern on the bottom is great, even when working in wet grass, with them you’ll never lose traction.
- Great support. No matter you are a 450 pounds man or more lighter, they can support your feet on stairs and ladders without any flexing.
- Locking eyelets. That’s one of the outstanding features, because they can keep lace tension dialed in.
- Flat feet life saver. For people with very flat feet, this boots come as an life saver.
- Not resole-able.
- The waterproof lining tends towards not breathing very well. But that can be acceptable.
Unique steel toe work boots, very comfortable and waterproof. With reflective webbing at side and special firmly eyelet design. We would recommend them to workers who are on there feet and on the move all day, but who also are brave enough to try something new and different.
Best Alloy toe Work Boots
Just as its name suggests, alloy-toed work boots’s toe boxes are made from lightweight materials like aluminum and titanium, but they are as strong as steel toe. Because of its lightweight (30%-50% lighter) and similar impact and compression safety protection compared with the steel toe, this kind of boots are very popular in recent years.
#3 Timberland PRO Men’s 26078 Titan 6″ Waterproof Safety-Toe Work Boot
The most outstanding features of 26078 Titan safety toe boots is that it is the lightest work boots ever – only 1 lb 7 oz! It adopts alloy toe cap that can avoid the dreaded perpetually cold foot syndrome one gets when wearing steel-toed boots in winter.
Properly the most comfortable work boots in the market, each pair of Titan comes with no break in period. And they also earn reputations of their durability, often lasting up to two years even under sustained daily use. Perhaps you may know why Titan Alloy toe boots are Timberland’s all the time best seller. They also adopt Antimicrobial treatment to prevent and control odors.
The only thing that upset me is that the leather in the toe box wears out easily, in order to extend the toe leather’s life you’d better take care of them regularly.
- Lightest Weight as a safety work boots. It is by far the lightest safety toe boots which is the energy saver after a long days.
- Premium waterproof. If you are working in water, your feet will be kept dry while the boot is submerged in water/mud.
- Alloy toe cap keeps foot very warm. Unlike steel toe boots, alloy toe boots can avoid the dreaded perpetually cold foot syndrome. Weight, heat retention and the price are the 3 important difference between steel-toed boots and the alloy-toed one.
- Minimal break in period. It only takes a few hours to break them in.
- Comfortable. One users even said that the boots are the pillows on his feet that he didn’t want to take them off.
- Little slippery on snow / ice. Though they are own great oil / slip resistant features, but you’d be careful when wearing them on snow and ice.
- Toe portion leather wears out easily. The leather used in the toe portion of the boot is too soft and if it’s not been taken care of frequently, it may wear out fast.
- The laces are a little too short. That’s belongs to people’s own preference. The editors love the longer laces, because when you use lugs a short lace do not leave enough slack to make secure knots.
Lightest Safety toe work boots – avoid the dreaded perpetually cold foot syndrome with alloy toe. Good water resistance, and usually means that a boot won’t breath well, but I think this is an acceptable trade-off.
Best Composite Toe Work Boots
Composite toe are made of non-metal materials like kevlar, carbon fiber, plastic, or fiberglass. They are great if you need a moderate level of protection. And they are also the best option for extreme high or low temperatures since they won’t heat up or cool down like a metal toe would.
#4 Bates Men’s Ulta-lites 8 Inches Tactical Sport Comp Toe Work Boot
Standing on pavement and concrete for hours on end is tough on feet. Anyone who had worked long in that environment know the value of a good pair of boots.
As a lightweight and durable work boots, BATES are one of the most comfortable work boots on the market today.
Looking at the full-grain leather, you will know why so many people like it. Not only do they have a nicer design than many of their counterparts, but it’s also made to last. With the right amount of ankle support, and lighter composite toe you are getting more comfort to work, run, jump and dominate any situation that might come into your way.
Made of premium full-grain and nubuck leathers from an LWG silver-rated tannery, they are made to be abused; whether in mud or on hard road. Overall you’re getting a reliable companion that will keep you comfort and safe in any outdoor or indoor situation.
The other thing why they are popular is their price. With the stable design, craftsmanship, leather, and durability you would expect on something on the higher end, but for this price range, you can take this as your work buddy.
- Light Weight. You can jump, run, walk with the weight of only 1 lb 8oz.
- Breathable mesh lining
- Composite toe cap make it easy to go through metal detectors. That’s necessary for workers who work in the airport, security departments.
- It only takes a few hours to break them in.
- Comfort and Durable
- The laces stay tied, easy to take on or off.
- The front and sides are a using tacky, soft leather that may easily scratches if you are not take care of them regularly.
- Minimal arch support in the stock insoles, it’s wise to buy additional insoles to provide better arch support.
If you’re looking for a pair of zippered boots that will hold up to considerable abuse and continue to function long after you’ve mauled them; consider Bates.
Best Soft Toe Work Boots
#5 Red Wing Heritage Iron Ranger 6-Inch Boot
If you visit the stylish forums often, you must hear of Iron Ranger. As you already know, Red Wing built their reputation for producing some of the best work boots since the Word War I & II. With the release of this work boots line, they’ve outdone even their own reputation.
From its thick leather that will last for decades to its triple stitched waxed threads add the water-resistant performance, the Red Wing Iron Ranger is the ideal work boots for standing more than 10 hours on the cement of your factory’s warehouse or venturing out onto the path for a long time walk, you can also wear them when chopping logs in the forest.
When you decide to go for a pair of durable work boot, you really want it lasts for more than 30 years, right? Well, the Red Wing Iron Ranger, has you covered. With its 270 degree Goodyear welting skills, pull up leather, cork/Nitrile sole, they look like new after polished them. The only thing you will do in the following 30 years may be: polishing and resoling.
Though the Red wing is also famous for taking a while to break in. That’s not a bad thing, as they’re designed to break in with a full leather footbed and cork filler. It’s worth bearing a few days before going down a flight of stairs feel natural. Once break-in, your every step is a comfortable feeling.
I highly recommend this Red Wing Iron Ranger to anyone who wants a handsome pair of brogue-less, cap toe boots that are made in the USA of veg-tanned leather and with a commando sole. It ultimately the best one for its price.
- The hand-made leather feels thick and durable, and the cap toe is a true cap toe, a second layer of leather attached to the vamp.
- They were relatively stylish, almost dressy
- USA made with triple stitched sole, and the quality reflects its price
- Can be resoled
- Moderate waterproof, can be wear in rainny / snow days if properly waterproofed.
- They need to be properly broken in to be a comfortable boot.
- Though the sole is oil resistant, but for icy ground, it’s still a bit slick.
- Though they deserve their value, the price is still a bit high
If you need a sturdy pair of American made work boots that still look very nice and price has stopped you before then go with these. I dare say you’ll fall in love with them.
Best Moc toe Work Boots
Moc toe is also known as Apron toe. This style has a separate piece of leather that wraps around the sides of the shoe, extending to the front of the toe box. These are popular among both casual and dress shoes. That’s a very stylish model, and are popular all over the world.
#6 Thorogood Men’s 814-4200 American Heritage 6″ Moc Toe Boot
The Killer of Red Wing Moc toe boots. Similar quality and comfort but with no bankrupt. With Oil-Tanned Leather and Goodyear welt construction, they are made to last for more than 10 years.
When I was firstly recommended by my friend with Thorogood Safety Moc-toe boots, I was a little doubt its quality. Since you know – welt construction, triple-stitched, full-grain leather, made in the good old USA, classic sole – are the features of a high-quality work boot!
When it comes to my hand, as a fan of Red Wing, I have to admit that this Thorogood moc-toe boot is really the Red Wing Killer!!!
It has too many outstanding features to say – your feet will never freeze or wet when meeting light snow and general ruin; they are sexy boots for the colder months; the breathable cotton lining saves your foot from wet when wearing them for all day long.
If you’ve been searching high and low for the best work boots, it’s easy to see why so many people consider the Thorogood Moc-toe boot to be one of the best on the market today.
Thankfully, Thorogood heritage moc-toe line has 2 types. Moc-toe without steel-toe boot and Moc-toe Safety boots (with steel toe). Now, the question of style has been solved, it’s up to you to decide you want to a one with steel toe or not.
- Comfortable walking boot
- Breathable mesh lining
- USA made triple stitched sole for long time use
- Can be resoled
- Stylish appearance with quality leather.
- Very resonable price compared with Red Wing
- The shoe laces are usable, it would be better if Thorogood could provide a replace lace.
- Need bread-in period
- Takes time to find the right size
- You may spend more time on keeping stylish after take them home 🙂
We’d like to recommend this Red Wing Killer to those who has no enough budget but still want a high quality work boots. Thorogood Moc toe is made to compensate the blank market of high quality boot at affordable price. Stylish appearance and high-end design, this boots won’t let you down.
Best Work Boots For Men – Ultimate Buying Guide 2018
4 Rules For the Best Work Boots
#1 Wear the Right Work Boots For the Right Occasion
Steel toe work boots are made to protect your feet while working; Waterproof work boots are designed to protect your feet while working in mud/water. Hiking boots are made to keep your feet at ease while you are walking.
However, many men often make a mistake, it seems they have no sense to wear appreciate shoes in the right occasion. They often take this to an extreme, and that will easily cause hidden danger.
#2 Invest on Quality and You’ll Pay Back
It is weird that most people cannot do the right calculation. Instead of save money and buy a more expensive one that will last for decades, however, many people choose to waste their money elsewhere buy a new inferior work boot every few months.
When comes to this point, I’d like you to change your old opinions into the right one: Cheap things are expensive in a long term.
Any man who works 14 hours a day in heavy industrial fields, such as the construction worker, learns at an early age that spending more for a pair of quality boot is worth the investment, since their body will tell them how they will feel that weekend.
A pair of solidly built work boots can be re-soled and can be used for more than 30 years, while the cheaper one that’s made with inferior materials and glue cannot be fixed since they are designed to be disposable after one use.
The re-sole costs is less than a new cheap work boots, so why not save your money and invest in a quality one?
#3 Never and Never Sacrifice Proper Fit and Comfort
Since many suppliers providing 30days or 7 days return system, you can feel free finding your best work boots online. If the work boots don’t fit, you can switch to Plan B to get your boots changed.
#4 Take Care of Your Work Boots
Properly caring for your work boots will protect and lengthen the lifespan of that investment. The most common mistakes I’ve found is poor boot maintenance or neglect and excessive oiling.
I recommend you wear your new work boots around your house for several days to help you through the break-in period. That period varies from several days to a several weeks, after that, your new work boots will total comfort. A conditioner will accelerate your break-in period.
After your break-in period is over, you need to pay attention to cleaning and waterproofing, etc. It is important for leather work boots.
In Conclusion To Buying The Best Work Boots For Men
Now that you’ve got to this section, you must have seen the options and reviewed our top picks for the best work boots on the market. It’s up to you to find the one that meets your real needs, the one that is in your price range, and the most important thing is they do help you, makes your foot dry, warm, away from welt foot, and feel ease.
P.S. Since new work boots are being created all the time, and new work boots brands emerging quickly, the comparison chart of the best work boots will be updated when we find a new, qualified enough boots. If you feel like we missed a superior work boots that deserved to be included on the list, let us know through Email, we are waiting for your suggestions.